CakeSpy Note: I am beyond ecstatic to announce that I have been invited as a media guest to the 45th Annual Pillsbury Bake-Off in Orlando, Florida! The event will take place in late March; til then, I am going to feature several of the sweets finalists here in anticipation of the big day!
Wow. Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Empanadas: how awesome are these? Like the love child of pie, peanut butter cup, and pierogi (at least visually), these are a whimsical entry in the Pillsbury Bake-off!
"Partner cookie dough and pie crust for an indulgent treat dipped in peanut butter and rich chocolate," says inventor Susan Hubickey of West Chester, Pennsylvania.
Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Empanadas
- 1roll Pillsbury® refrigerated peanut butter cookie dough
- 4oz (half of 8-oz package) cream cheese, softened
- 3Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts (from 2 boxes), softened as directed on box
- 1LAND O LAKES® Egg, beaten
- 1bag (10 oz) Reese's® peanut butter baking chips
- 4tablespoons Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1bag (12 oz) Hershey's® semi-sweet chocolate baking chips
- 1teaspoon powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 375°F. Let 1/2 roll of cookie dough stand at room temperature 10 minutes to soften. (Refrigerate 1/2 roll cookie dough for another use.) In large bowl, break up cookie dough. Add cream cheese; beat on medium speed with electric mixer until smooth. Set aside.
- Unroll 1 pie crust; roll into 12-inch round. Using 4-inch round cookie cutter, cut into 8 rounds, rerolling dough as necessary. Repeat with second and third crusts.
- Spoon scant 1 tablespoon cookie dough mixture on half of each round; flatten slightly. Bring dough over filling; press edges with fork to seal. Cut small slit on top of each empanada; place on ungreased cookie sheets. Brush tops with beaten egg.
- Bake 12 to 16 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small microwavable bowl, microwave peanut butter chips and 2 tablespoons of the shortening on High 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth. Dip 1 corner of each empanada into melted chips on an angle, creating a diagonal line. Place on waxed paper; let stand 10 minutes or until coating is set.
- Meanwhile, in small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips and remaining 2 tablespoons shortening on High 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth. Holding undipped corner, dip the peanut butter-coated empanadas into melted chocolate on opposite angle so that some peanut butter coating is still visible. Refrigerate 10 minutes or until chocolate is set. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Store covered in refrigerator.