Here's an important question to which I would like an honest response. It is this:
Would you rather eat a macaroon-esque "white chocolate coconut cluster"...
or a unicorn pom-pom puff?
Hey, remember how I said I wanted an honest answer? I lied: I don't even need or want it. Because I've made the executive decision: the unicorn ones are better.
Basically, I dreamed up this confection thusly: upon pondering a simple use for the white chocolate cache I had at the time, I discovered an easy way of combining melted white chocolate with shredded coconut to form a super-sweet (and simple) confection. I like multipurpose treats, though, so I thought "well, how could I make these a lure for unicorns in addition to satisfying my sweet tooth?".
The answer was simple: add a little rainbow magic. By divvying up the mix and tinting portions in different colors before forming clusters, I ended up with fuzzy-cute treats that tasted like the Spirit Of Sugar had descended and was knocking right on my taste buds (that is to say--very sweet). I settled on the name "Unicorn Pom Pom Puffs" because, well, look at them.
If you don't love white chocolate or coconut, make them anyway. You might just catch a unicorn!
Unicorn Pom-Pom Puffs
- 2 cups lightly toasted coconut (very light color is important)
- 7 ounces white chocolate
- food coloring
- Melt the white chocolate. Remove from heat.
- Divide the chocolate into four separate bowls large enough to do some stirrin'.
- Tint each portion with the color desired (I used red, yellow, blue, and green) until it reaches the tone of your liking.
- Add 1/4 of the coconut to each bowl. Stir til combined.
- Gather a small lump of each color together, and clump them lightly so that they adhere. Place on a baking sheet as you finish them. Continue until you've used all of the mixtures.
- Let them set for an hour or more before eating for the best texture. Store leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container.