CakeSpy Note: I am beyond ecstatic to announce that I have been invited as a media guest to the 45th Annual Pillsbury Bake-Off in Orlando, Florida! The event will take place in late March; til then, I am going to feature several of the sweets finalists here in anticipation of the big day!
You know what's awesome? Fusion.
And the awesomest kind of fusion? That of delicious desserts. For instance: Orange Cream-Macadamia Torte. It's like creamsicle meets pie, with a fancy nutty filling.
And it's the reason why I am kind of in love with the inventor of this recipe, Brett Youmans of Reading, PA, who says, "Create a citrus twist for a crowd-sized dessert. Start with an easy sugar cookie crust and add a creamy filling."
OK, Brett. Here's how.
Orange Cream-Macadamia Torte
- 1 roll Pillsbury® refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 cups flaked coconut, toasted*
- 1 1/4cups Fisher® Chef's Naturals® Chopped Macadamia Nuts, toasted**
- 3 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 can (14 oz) Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup Hershey's® premier white baking chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable Shortening
Garnish, if desired
- 1 large orange, cut into 16 thin slices
- Heat oven to 350°F. Let cookie dough stand at room temperature 10 minutes to soften. In large bowl, break up cookie dough. Add 1/4 of the cream cheese and vanilla; beat with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add 1 cup of the coconut, 3/4 cup of the nuts, 1 tablespoon of the orange peel and 1 tablespoon of the lemon peel; beat until well blended. Spread evenly in bottom and up side of ungreased 10-inch nonstick tart pan with removable bottom.
- Bake 18 to 23 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart heavy saucepan, add condensed milk, orange juice, butter, remaining cream cheese, orange peel and lemon peel. Cook over low heat, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring constantly with wire whisk, until mixture is bubbly and thickened. Remove from heat; spread over cooled crust. Refrigerate until cooled, about 1 hour.
- In small microwavable bowl, combine icing ingredients, microwave on High 30 to 40 seconds, stirring every 10 seconds, until smooth. Drizzle over cooled torte to cover. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup coconut and 1/2 cup nuts, lightly pressing into icing. To serve, cut into 16 wedges; top each with orange slice. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.