Who knew? February 22 is National Margarita Day. But how to celebrate? Well, naturally, you should indulge in a margarita or seven. But you'll need something to soak up all of that blissful booze, so may I suggest a Margarita Cupcake? Here's a recipe sent on care of Partida Tequila, developed specially for them by Robicelli's (who you know I have a cake crush on!).
3/4 stick butter, melted & cooled
1/4 heavy cream
1/4 cup Partida Blanco tequila
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Zests of 2 limes
Cream cheese frosting
1 tsp Partida Blanco Tequila
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 package cream cheese, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 large container strawberries, stems removed and chopped
1/4 cup seedless cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp Partida Tequila
One Lime, juiced
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Beat eggs until well mixed, then add butter, cream, tequila & salt. Mix until combined.
3. Sift together flour, sugar and baking powder. Add to wet mixture and stir until smooth.
4. Divide amongst 12 cupcake tins and bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the tops just spring back when touched.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. Beat together tequila, softened butter and cream cheese on high speed until light and fluffy.
2. Add powdered sugar 1/2 a cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Once all sugar is added, beat for an additional 3 minutes to incorporate air.
1. Strain salsa, reserving liquid. Using a pastry brush, brush the top of each cupcake with the liquid.
2. Frost cupcakes with the cream cheese & tequila icing. Using a teaspoon, scoop out an indentation in the middle of each cupcake.
3. Place a heaping spoonful of the strawberry salsa in each indentation.
4. Garnish with a sliver or lime.