What's better than shortbread? Not much. But this simple sweet takes beautifully to added flavors, including herbs--as evidenced by this delicious recipe for Lavender Shortbread. I first sampled this when Cake Gumshoe Tania (look at her blog here) brought some to an event at the store, and -- joy!--she was also kind enough to offer the recipe. The only warning? This buttery stuff is addictive!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- zest from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Butter an 8x8-inch pan.
- Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add zest and lavender; mix well.
- Add flour and mix til fully incorporated.
- Press dough into your prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden around the edges and with a dull finish on top.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then cut into pieces, still in pan; let cool completely before removing.
- Enjoy, ideally with a cuppa'.