The Kentucky Derby may not be 'til May, but the chocolate-nut flavors associated with the race are delicious all year long. But unless you want to get sued for using the copyrighted "Derby Pie" moniker, you'd better get creative, like CakeSpy reader Melanie , who recently sent on the recipe (and gorgeous photos) for "Kentucky Derby Bourban Cakes", wherein cupcakes are served inside of a pie shell for ultimate carbohydrate bliss and complete deliciousness. Run, don't walk, to the kitchen for this:
Kentucky Derby Bourbon Cakes
- 2 boxes Jiffy Pie Crust mix (love it in a pinch!)
- 1 box butter cake mix or yellow cake mix(and ingredients on box)
- 1/2 cup Kentucky Bourbon
- 1 3/4 cups walnuts (some to sprinkle on top)
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips Bourbon Fudge Ganache (recipe follows)
- Prepare the Jiffy pie crusts as directed on the box. Chill dough until ready to assemble cupcakes for baking. (Note: I would start the Bourbon Fudge Ganache now, as it needs to cool in the fridge for some chill time!)
- Prepare the cake mix as instructed and then mix in bourbon.
- Roll the pie dough out to 1/4 inch on a floured surface. Cut (approximately) 5 inch circles out of dough using a large cup or bowl as a guide.
- Gently fit the circles into 2 cupcake pans prepared with nonstick spray. Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides.
- Place approximately 1 tsp. each of walnuts and chocolate chips in the bottom of each cupcake/piecrust.
- Spoon approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons of cake batter into each cupcake (until it looks 2/3 (plus a little) full. You can’t put as much batter as usual cupcakes since the crust/nuts/chips are in the bottom!
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes (’til they don’t jiggle in the middle!). Remove cupcakes and allow them to cool on a wire rack, and then use a butter knife to loosen and remove each cupcake.
Bourbon Fudge Ganache
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (8 ounces) heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons of Kentucky Bourbon ( or more if you like it strong!!!)
- Place the chocolate in a large bowl.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan until it just starts to boil. Pour the cream over the chocolate.
- Cover the bowl, and allow the cream to melt the chocolate. Add the bourbon.
- Whisk the chocolate until its dark and shiny. Place the icing in the refrigerator until the cupcakes are cooled.
- Check frequently, and give it a quick stir. When it gets to a spreadable consistency, pull it out. Otherwise, it will be too firm(like fudge…yummm!). Either spread the ganache on the top of the cupcakes or pipe it with a bag. Sprinkle each cupcake with some walnuts. Then let the race to your belly begin!!!