FACT: Chocolate cream pie is a thing of great beauty and deliciousness.
FACT: Even a classic likes to get dressed up from time to time.
This recipe is the equivalent of chocolate cream pie getting all gussied up for a party. But instead of going to the salon for a blowout, it's getting a deluxe Baci treatment.
Yep: this chocolate cream pie is made with a bunch of melted Baci candies in the mix, and is almost too delicious to describe!
I mean, imagine a classic, old-fashionedy chocolate cream pie, and give it a chocolate hazelnut makeover. It's awesome.
Listen, I am going to tell you from the get-go that my blind-baked pie crust shrunk a little bit (it's a real thing, and apparently it's more likely to happen when you use a glass plate; I should have read this first!) but don't let that deter you from the recipe. If your pie crust shrinks at all like mine did, it's not a huge deal, it just means that you will have some extra filling. And extra filling is an opportunity for a sweet little snack, like so:
So if you have a regular-sized pie crust, the amount of filling should work perfectly, but if you purposefully or accidentally have a more tart-like stature in your crust, don't despair. It will all work out.
Baci Chocolate Cream Pie
Makes 1 pie - printable version here
- 1 blind-baked pie crust, at room temperature
- 10 Baci candies, plus about 6 more, slivered, for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- pinch salt
- 1 package pudding mix (I used a 3.4 ounce container of Vanilla instant pudding)
1. Combine the Baci candies, milk, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium, stirring frequently, until the baci candies have melted. Remove from heat, and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
2. Stir in the pudding mix, and whisk until combined. It should start to thicken shortly. The mix directions say to use cold milk, but as you can see, I am going rogue here.
3. Pour into the prepared pie shell. Place in the fridge until completely "set" and firm, about 2 hours.
4. Garnish with slivered Baci candies!