CakeSpy Note: OMG! It's getting to be that time of year again. The Pillsbury Bake-Off is coming in November! Since I so deeply loved attending the 45th Bake-Off as well as the 46th Bake-Off, I thought I would get you excited the 47th one early by sharing all of the sweet recipes in the running. I will focus on sweets! You can follow them by clicking the bakeoff tag below to see the recipes posted so far (as well as recipes from previous Bake-Off events).
I will go ahead and tell you a secret right here and right now. Here goes:
I prefer vanilla to chocolate.
It's true. And Antoinette Leal of Ridgefield, Connecticut, hears me. She must: she created this recipe for Very Vanilla Lemon Tarts which will be featured at the Bake-Off! Starting with ready-made pie crust, these pastries are sweet and tart bliss. Good luck at the Bake-Off, Antoinette!
Very Vanilla Lemon Tarts
- Prep Time: 30 Min
- Total Time: 55 Min
- Makes: 8 tarts
- 1/2 cup lemon curd (from 10-oz jar)
- 6 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 4 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1 box Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 1 egg, well beaten 2
- lemons (2 teaspoons grated peel, 2 teaspoons juice and 8 lemon peel curls)
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. In small bowl, mix lemon curd and 2 teaspoons of the vanilla; set aside. In another small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, 4 teaspoons of the powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons of the vanilla; set aside.
- Unroll pie crusts on work surface; roll each crust to 12-inch circle. With pizza cutter or knife, cut each crust into 8 wedges. Place 4 wedges on each cookie sheet.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon lemon curd mixture in center of each wedge on cookie sheets; top with 1 tablespoon ricotta mixture. Spread to within 1/2 inch of edges. Brush edges of crust with egg. Top with remaining pie crust wedges. Press edges with fork to seal. Prick tops of tarts 4 to 5 times with fork. Brush tops of tarts lightly with egg.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix remaining 1/4 cup powdered sugar, remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla, the lemon peel and lemon juice until smooth. Spread glaze over warm tarts; garnish with lemon peel curls. Serve warm. Store covered.