CakeSpy Note: OMG! It's getting to be that time of year again. The Pillsbury Bake-Off is coming in November! Since I so deeply loved attending the 45th Bake-Off as well as the 46th Bake-Off, I thought I would get you excited the 47th one early by sharing all of the sweet recipes in the running. I will focus on sweets! You can follow them by clicking the bakeoff tag below to see the recipes posted so far (as well as recipes from previous Bake-Off events).
I'll tell you what including cherries and orange in your breakfast bread means. That means it is health food.
But the best kind of health food ever, because it's accompanied by a generous amount of sugar and almond extract to make a dreamy carbohydratey treat! This feat of breakfast brilliance was dreamed up by Maria Rokas of San Francisco, California. Good luck at the Bake-Off!
Cherry-Orange Pull-Apart Breakfast Bread
- Prep Time: 30 Min
- Total Time: 1 Hr 40 Min
- Makes: 8 servings
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel (from 2 oranges)
- 2 cans Pillsbury refrigerated thin pizza crust
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. In small microwavable bowl, microwave 1/4 cup of the butter uncovered on High 30 to 50 seconds or until melted. Line bottom of 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Lightly brush bottom and sides with small amount of the melted butter.
- In small bowl, mix granulated sugar, cherries and orange peel; set aside. Unroll 1 can of dough on work surface; press to form 16x12-inch rectangle. With pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut crosswise into 4 rows to make 4 (12x4-inch) rectangles. Brush rectangles with some of the remaining melted butter. Working quickly, sprinkle 1 rectangle with 1 rounded tablespoon sugar mixture.
- Top with another dough rectangle, butter side down. Brush top of rectangle with some of the butter, and sprinkle with 1 rounded tablespoon sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining 2 rectangles.
- With sharp knife, cut stack crosswise into 5 (4x2 1/2-inch) stacks. Carefully place small stacks, cut side down, in loaf pan. Repeat with remaining can of dough, sugar mixture and melted butter. Brush any remaining butter over top of loaf.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until deep golden brown, covering with foil, if necessary, to prevent excess browning.
- Cool 15 minutes in pan on cooling rack. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen bread. Remove from pan to cooling rack set over a sheet of parchment paper or foil. Meanwhile, in medium microwavable bowl, microwave remaining 1/4 cup butter uncovered on High 30 to 50 seconds or until melted.
- Add the powdered sugar and almond extract; mix until smooth. Brush icing over breakfast bread. Serve warm.