Breakfast is served. And is it ever beautiful: these "waffles" are made using cinnamon rolls! How's that for a decadent delight? Dressed up with strawberries and whipped cream, they're the perfect cold-weather breakfast to carb-o-load for a race you're never gonna run. This one comes from Kelly Humphreys of Vancouver, Washington. Good luck at the Bake-Off!
Strawberry-Cinnamon Roll Belgian Waffles
- Prep Time: 30 Min
- Total Time: 30 Min
- Makes: 5 waffles
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) strawberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 can Pillsbury Grands! Flaky Supreme refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing (5 rolls)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place large bowl and beaters in freezer or refrigerator to chill.
- In 2-quart saucepan, mix 3/4 cup of the sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in strawberries and 1/4 cup water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils (mixture will become translucent during cooking). Boil and stir 2 minutes. Pour strawberry sauce into heatproof bowl; set aside.
- Heat Belgian waffle maker. (Waffle maker without a nonstick coating may need to be sprayed with Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray before cinnamon roll is added.)
- Meanwhile, in chilled bowl, beat whipping cream, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of the orange extract with electric mixer on low speed until mixture begins to thicken. Gradually increase speed to high and beat just until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat, or mixture will curdle. Refrigerate.
- Separate dough into 5 rolls; reserve icing. Place 1 roll in center of each waffle section. Close lid of waffle maker. Bake 2 to 3 minutes or until deep golden brown. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Meanwhile, in small microwavable bowl, microwave reserved icing uncovered on High 10 seconds; stir in melted butter, remaining 1/4 teaspoon orange extract and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- To serve, place each waffle on serving plate; drizzle with icing. Top with strawberry sauce and whipped cream.