How do you make cinnamon rolls even better?
No, that's not a trick question. And Barbara Lento of Houston, Pennsylvania, has the answer: by macaroon-ifying it. Yes indeed: this cinnamon roll braid is infused with coconut and coconut extract to make a gooey and delightful AM treat.
Macaroon-Cinnamon Roll Braid
- Prep Time: 20 Min
- Total Time: 1 Hr 5 Min
- Makes: 10 servings
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup coconut
- 1/4 cup sugar 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 can Pillsbury Grands! refrigerated cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing (5 rolls)
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line large cookie sheet with Reynolds® Parchment Paper. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, coconut, sugar, coconut extract and egg yolk with electric mixer on medium speed about 30 seconds or until well blended.
- Separate dough into 5 rolls; reserve icing. Unroll each roll into a 20-inch strip, stretching if necessary; cut each strip in half. Place strips cinnamon side up, with sides touching, on cookie sheet to form 10-inch square.
- Spoon cream cheese mixture crosswise down center of square in 3-inch wide strip. Fold ends of cinnamon roll strips over filling, pulling gently to overlap slightly in center; press gently. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until top is deep golden brown. Cool on cookie sheet 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in small microwavable bowl; microwave icing uncovered on High 10 to 15 seconds or until thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle icing over warm braid. Serve warm or cool.
Note: the Pillsbury Bake-Off is coming in November! Check out my coverage of the 45th and 46th Bake-Off, and follow the recipes posted so far by clicking the bakeoff tag below.