CakeSpy Note: OMG! It's getting to be that time of year again. The Pillsbury Bake-Off is coming in November! Since I so deeply loved attending the 45th Bake-Off as well as the 46th Bake-Off, I thought I would get you excited the 47th one early by sharing all of the sweet recipes in the running. I will focus on sweets! You can follow them by clicking the bakeoff tag below to see the recipes posted so far (as well as recipes from previous Bake-Off events).
Is it cold where you are right now? It suddenly and relentlessly got cold here, so I am dreaming of the tropics. Cindy Nerat of Menominee, Michigan must have heard me, because she came up with this dreamy glazed Hawaiian bread as her entry to the Pillsbury Bake-Off. Sounds like a getaway breakfast is in order!
Glazed Hawaiian Bread
- Prep Time: 15 Min
- Total Time: 1 Hr
- Makes: 12 servings
- 3/4 cup coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese (4 oz)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, drained, juice reserved
- 1 can Pillsbury refrigerated crusty French loaf
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In small bowl, mix 1/4 cup of the coconut and 2 tablespoons of the macadamia nuts; set aside. In medium bowl, mix mascarpone cheese, 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar and the orange extract until well blended. Stir in pineapple, remaining 1/2 cup coconut and remaining macadamia nuts.
- Carefully unroll dough on work surface; press to form 12x10-inch rectangle. Fold dough rectangle into thirds; transfer to cookie sheet. Unfold dough rectangle. Spread mascarpone mixture down center of dough in 4-inch-wide strip to within 1/2 inch of short ends. Using kitchen scissors or sharp knife, make cuts 1 inch apart on long sides of dough to within 1/2 inch of filling. Fold strips of dough diagonally over filling, alternating from side to side, stretching dough as needed.
- Bake 22 to 32 minutes or until tops of strips are golden brown. Cool about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 4 to 5 teaspoons of the reserved pineapple juice until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle glaze over braid; sprinkle with reserved coconut mixture. Serve warm.