Hey bub. What's a syllabub?
Answer (according to the dictionary, anyway): A whipped cream dessert, typically flavored with white wine or sherry.
Basically, that's all I needed to get interested in this sweet treat. So I was really happy to find a recipe for a version which is--how cute--served in a jar! Everything tastes better in a jar. Where did I find this recipe? in a book called 150 Best Desserts in a Jar! Naturally!
Well, guess what? This almost tastes eggnoggy. Like, not quite, but like it could be related to the holiday treat. But I was delighted to find that it tastes just as good in the summer--like a boozy, tricked-out milkshake. If you really need more than that to be interested, then I don't know what's wrong with you. Here's the recipe!
Iced Mocha Syllabub
Makes 4 servings
- Four 8-ounce tall jars, buttered
- a blender
- an electric mixer
- 3 1/4 ounces dark chocolate (70%), melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups heavy or whipping cream
- 2 cups softened coffee ice cream
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a blender, process melted chocolate, sugar, espresso powder, vanilla, nutmeg and brandy until smooth.
- In a large bowl, using electric mixer at medium speed, beat mascarpone for 2 minutes, until creamy. Add cream and beat until stiff peaks form. Gradually add chocolate mixture, beating constantly. Fold in the softened ice cream.
- Spoon into jars and refrigerate for 30 minutes. When ready to serve, dust each jar with cocoa powder, dividing equally.