CakeSpy Note: OMG! The 46th Annual Pillsbury Bake-Off is coming! Since I so deeply loved attending the 45th Bake-Off, I thought I would get you excited early by sharing some of the finalists' recipes. Do I need to tell you that the winner will receive one million dollars? My posting is on hyperdrive since the event is less than a week a day--check back often, because I will be posting three recipes a day until the big event! You can follow them by clicking the bakeoff tag below the post to see which ones have been posted so far. Enjoy!
Do you know what "beignet" means?
It translates, roughly, as "get your butt in the kitchen and make these, RIGHT NOW." Trust me. I'm sure that Karyn Hentz of Arlington, Virginia would agree with my translation.
Espresso Hazelnut Beignets
Prep Time: 25 Min Total Time: 25 Min Makes: 8 servings
- 4 cups Crisco Pure Canola Oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1can Pillsbury Grands! Homestyle refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (8 ct)
- 1/2cup Jif Mocha Cappuccino Flavored Hazelnut Spread
- In 3-quart heavy saucepan, heat oil to 370°F. In shallow bowl or plate, mix sugar and espresso powder. Set aside.
- Separate dough into 8 biscuits. Press each biscuit into 4-inch round. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the mocha cappuccino hazelnut spread on each biscuit. Fold dough over filling; press edges to seal.
- Gently place 3 biscuits in hot oil. Cook 1 1/2 minutes or until deep golden brown. Using tongs, gently turn over. Cook 1 1/2 minutes or until deep golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain. Roll in sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining biscuits, cooking 2 or 3 at a time. Serve warm.