CakeSpy Note: OMG! The 46th Annual Pillsbury Bake-Off is coming! Since I so deeply loved attending the 45th Bake-Off, I thought I would get you excited early by sharing some of the finalists' recipes. Narrowed down from zillions of entries, I'll profile some of the 100 finalists--but of course, based on the subject matter of this site, I will focus on sweets! You can follow them by clicking the bakeoff tag below the post to see which ones have been posted so far. Enjoy!
Got a waffle iron and a taste for something sweet? If so, these waffles could be in your mouth in just about 20 minutes. They beautifully marry French toast flavors with waffle-y texture, and the apple cherry topping doesn't hurt anything. It was dreamed up by Tiffany Aaron of Quitman, Arkansas, who will be at the Bake-Off next month.
French Toast Waffles with Apple Cherry Topping
Prep Time: 20 Min Total Time: 20 Min Makes: 4 servings
- 1 can (21 oz.) apple pie filling
- 1/4 cup Smucker's® Cherry Preserves
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 can Pillsbury® Place 'n Bake® refrigerated crescent rounds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Heat waffle maker.
- In 1 1/2-quart saucepan, mix apple pie filling and cherry preserves. Cook over low heat until warm, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- In shallow dish, beat eggs, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of the whipping cream with wire whisk until foamy.
- Separate dough into 8 rounds. Dip each round in egg mixture, coating well. Place 2 to 4 rounds in waffle maker; close lid. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Repeat with remaining rounds.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat remaining whipping cream, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and the brown sugar with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- To serve, spoon warm apple mixture over waffles; top with sweetened whipped cream.