So, Smart Balance is having this blogger recipe contest, and I think I should win it.
Well, aside from the obvious reason that I AM A WINNER (or so my mom always told me), also because the recipe I came up with, which uses Smart Balance products, is both very simple and highly delicious.
It's sort of like a famous crispy treat that you all know, but with a caramel corn twist. It's made with less than five ingredients, and when you make it with the Smart Balance microwave popcorn, they come together in just a couple of minutes! I think they taste even better with salt, because I love salty sweet and think that you should, too. They are one of those treats that you can't stop eating. As a result, I call them Magical Salted Caramel Corn Crispy Treats, because don't you see how that unicorn is reacting ?
Smart Balance will open up the recipes for voting on their page on October 1; vote for me on this page when it does!
In the meantime, here's the recipe.
Magical Salted Caramel Corn Crispy Treats
- 2 Smart Balance® Light Butter Flavor Deluxe Popcorn Mini bags, popped
- 1/4 cup Smart Balance spread
- 14 ounces Dulce de Leche
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Optional add-in: 1/2 cup handful of the nuts of your choice
- Grease and line the bottom and sides of an 8x8-inch baking pan with waxed paper.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the Smart Balance. Once mostly melted, add the dulce de leche and warm slightly (this will make it easier to coat the popcorn.
- Stir in the two bags of popped corn, using a wooden spoon to completely coat the popcorn. Stir in the salt last (nuts at this time, too, if adding)
- Spoon the mixture into the greased and lined 8x8-inch pan. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to set. Let come to room temperature before serving. Cover and keep leftovers in the refrigerator so they don't become too gooey.