CakeSpy Note: I am beyond ecstatic to announce that I have been invited as a media guest to the 45th Annual Pillsbury Bake-Off in Orlando, Florida! The event will take place in late March; til then, I am going to feature several of the sweets finalists here in anticipation of the big day!
Strawberries and cream, re-imagined gooey butter cake style!
That's the story behind this delicious Bake-Off entry, which starts with store-bought sugar cookie dough. "Sugar cookie dough is the start of an easy-to-make, yummy cream cake with strawberries. Really!" says Laurie Benda of Madison, WI.
Strawberries and Cream Butter Cake
- 1roll Pillsbury® refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted or Salted Butter, softened
- 3/4cup granulated sugar
- 3 ggs
- 3 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/4 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Unbleached Flour
- 1 can (14 oz) Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/3 cup Smucker’s® Strawberry Preserves
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1lb fresh strawberries, sliced (2 1/2 cups)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Let cookie dough stand at room temperature 10 minutes to soften. Spray 13x9-inch pan with Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray. Break up cookie dough in pan; press to cover bottom of pan.
- In large bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and 2 teaspoons of the vanilla until well blended. On low speed, alternately beat in about 1/3 of the flour and 1/2 of the condensed milk, ending with flour addition, until blended. Pour batter over dough in pan, spreading gently to cover.
- Drop teaspoonfuls preserves onto batter; with knife, swirl preserves into batter.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until edges are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool until slightly warm, about 1 hour.
- In small bowl, beat whipping cream, powdered sugar and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Serve warm cake with whipped cream and strawberries. Store covered.