CakeSpy Note: I am beyond ecstatic to announce that I have been invited as a media guest to the 45th Annual Pillsbury Bake-Off in Orlando, Florida! The event will take place in late March; til then, I am going to feature several of the sweets finalists here in anticipation of the big day!
I just want to tell you, I would wake up at 3 a.m. every day if you made me this.
"Wake up sleepyheads with a new breakfast pastry. Six quick ingredients turn Pillsbury crusty French loaf into a fresh fruit chocolate treat", describes this sweet treat the inventor, MaryAnne Salaway of Harveys Lake, Pennsylvania.
Dark Cherry Chocolate Breakfast Pastry
- 1 can Pillsbury® refrigerated crusty French loaf
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup halved pitted dark sweet cherries*
- 1/4 cup Hershey’s mini chips semi-sweet chocolate baking chips
- 1/4 cup Smucker's Sweet Orange Marmalade
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray 15x10-inch pan with sides with Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray. Carefully unroll loaf of dough in pan; press dough to cover pan. In small microwavable bowl, microwave 2 tablespoons of the butter on High 15 seconds or until melted. Stir in orange peel. Brush butter mixture over dough.
- Press 1/2 cup of cherries into half of dough, covering a 10x7 1/2-inch area. Sprinkle mini chips over cherries. Fold plain side of dough over cherries. Pinch edges of dough to seal. Cover top of folded dough with remaining cherries; press into dough.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and marmalade on High 15 to 30 seconds or until butter is melted; stir to blend well. Carefully brush mixture over cherries and dough.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on cooling rack 15 minutes.
- Cut into 8 servings. Serve warm.