CakeSpy Note: I am beyond ecstatic to announce that I have been invited as a media guest to the 45th Annual Pillsbury Bake-Off in Orlando, Florida! The event will take place in late March; til then, I am going to feature several of the sweets finalists here in anticipation of the big day!
"Good morning! Get a triple hit of orange in sweet homemade muffins and a special orange butter." Paula Mahagnoul of Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Makes 6 very freaking large muffins.
Orange Marmalade Cornmeal Muffins
- 1/2cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
- 1/2cup Smucker’s® Sweet Orange Marmalade
- 1LAND O LAKES® Egg
- 1tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2teaspoon McCormick® Pure Orange Extract
- 1/8teaspoon kosher (coarse) salt
- 1/3cup yellow cornmeal
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3cup orange juice
- 1 1/4cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
Candied Orange Peel
- Peel from 1 large orange
- 3tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4cup water
- 3/4cup powdered sugar
- 2tablespoons orange juice
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4cup Smucker’s® Sweet Orange Marmalade
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 6 jumbo muffin cups with Crisco® Butter Flavor No-Stick Cooking Spray. In large bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup orange marmalade until blended. Stir in egg, 1 tablespoon orange peel, orange extract and salt until well blended. Add cornmeal and baking powder; mix well. Alternately add 2/3 cup orange juice and flour, stirring just until moistened. Spoon rounded 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in cups 15 minutes. Remove from cups to cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, to make candied orange peel, using vegetable peeler, cut 1/2-inch-wide strips of peel from orange. Using knife, cut orange peel into fine strips. In 1-quart saucepan, bring granulated sugar, orange peel strips and water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove peel from syrup. Cool on waxed paper.
- In small bowl, combine glaze ingredients; mix well. Set aside. In another small bowl, beat together orange butter ingredients until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Drizzle glaze over tops of muffins. Garnish each with candied orange peel. Serve with orange butter.