CakeSpy Note: I am beyond ecstatic to announce that I have been invited as a media guest to the 45th Annual Pillsbury Bake-Off in Orlando, Florida! The event will take place in late March; til then, I am going to feature several of the sweets finalists here in anticipation of the big day!
Hazelnut and chocolate, that killer combo which is the cornerstone of that sweet manna we call "Nutella".
And, as it happens, the flavor combo that is bringing Craig Partin or Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina to the Pillsbury Bake-off as a finalist with his Hazelnut-French Silk Turtle Pie! "Oh my, turtle pie! A rich flaky pie crust holds a creamy filling with chocolate and caramel" says he. Here's the recipe:
Hazelnut-French Silk Turtle Pie
- 1Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box
- 1package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1cup hazelnut spread with cocoa (from 13-oz jar)
- 1tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3cup Hershey’s® Caramel Syrup
- 2oz Hershey’s® semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 2tablespoons Fisher® Chef's Naturals® Chopped Hazelnuts (filberts)
- Heat oven to 450°F. Make pie crust as directed on box for One-Crust Baked Shell using 9-inch glass pie plate. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat cream cheese, hazelnut spread and brown sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Carefully fold in whipped topping and graham cracker crumbs until blended. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the caramel syrup; set aside. Pour remaining caramel syrup into cooled pie crust; spread evenly. Spoon and spread cream cheese mixture over caramel layer.
- Freeze 1 hour or until firm. Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate on High 30 to 60 seconds, stirring every 10 seconds, until smooth. Drizzle melted chocolate and reserved caramel syrup over top of pie; sprinkle with hazelnuts. Store covered in refrigerator.