CakeSpy Note: I am beyond ecstatic to announce that I have been invited as a media guest to the 45th Annual Pillsbury Bake-Off in Orlando, Florida! The event will take place in late March; til then, I am going to feature several of the sweets finalists here in anticipation of the big day!
Doris Wallace of Des Arc, Arkansas, is certainly a lady I'd like to meet. Why? Because she's the inventor of the lovely, amazing, and totally magical thing called "Cream Filled Strawberry Brownie Cake". In her words, "Fudgy brownie meets strawberry cake in a layered extravaganza!". Oh, to have such an extravaganza in one's mouth. Here's the recipe.
Cream Filled Strawberry Brownie Cake
- 1 box (19.5 oz) Pillsbury® Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix
- 1/2 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 LAND O LAKES® Eggs
- 1 box (18.25 oz) Pillsbury® Strawberry Cake Mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 3 LAND O LAKES® Eggs
- 1/2 cup diced fresh strawberries Filling
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
Frosting and Garnish
- 1 container (16 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries*
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray.
- Line bottoms of pans with cooking parchment paper; spray paper with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, stir all brownie layer ingredients 50 strokes with spoon.
- Spread about 1 cup batter in each of 3 pans. In large bowl, beat all cake layer ingredients except diced strawberries with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on high speed 2 minutes or until blended. Fold in diced strawberries. Pour and spread about 1 1/3 cups mixture evenly over brownie batter in each pan.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Carefully invert cake layers from pans onto cooling racks; remove parchment paper. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make filling, in medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with electric mixer on high speed until smooth and creamy. Beat in 3 cups powdered sugar until creamy. Carefully fold in 8 oz whipped topping.
- To make frosting, in another medium bowl, beat 16 oz whipped topping and 2/3 cup powdered sugar with electric mixer on low speed until blended.
- To assemble cake, place 1 cake layer, brownie side down, on serving plate. Spread half of filling to within 1/4 inch of edge; top with 3/4 cup of the strawberry slices. Repeat with second layer, remaining filling and 3/4 cup strawberry slices. Top with remaining cake layer, top side up. Frost sides and top of cake with frosting. Garnish with remaining 1 1/2 cups strawberry slices. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving. Store in refrigerator.