You may spin me "right round baby right round", but I'd rather eat a pound (and a half) of these Pineapple "Upside Down" Cupcakes. Nom!
Pineapple "Upside-Down" Cupcakes Recipe
Adapted fromKatie and the Cupcake Cure (Cupcake Diaries)
For the cakes
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream (full fat, yo)
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice (can use juice from can of pineapple slices; see topping ingredients)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained (set aside 1/2 cup juice for the batter; see above)
- maraschino cherries
- Center baking rack in oven; preheat to 350F. Line a muffin tin with baking cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the batter ingredients. With an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the ingredients together until no lumps remain. Spoon the batter into the cupcake tins so that each cup is 1/2 full.
- Make the topping. Mix the melted butter and brown sugar together with a spoon. Sprinkle about a teaspoon of the mixture on top of the cupcake batter in the tins. Now add a layer of about a tablespoon of the pineapple. If you'd like (do it) add a cherry on top, pressing into the pineapple layer so it's level.
- Bak the cupcakes 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Let the cupcakes cool at least 20 minutes before eating.