Nomsies! A big thank you to Eagle Brand Condensed Milk and to Ingrid Hoffman, who were kind enough to share this recipe for Coffee Spanish Torrijas (described to me as "like Spanish French Toast").
Coffee Spanish Torrijas
Yield: 6-8 servings / Prep Time: 10 Minutes / Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- 1 (14 oz.) can Sweetened Condensed Milk, divided
- 1/3 cup strong brewed coffee, plus 4 tsp., divided
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (6 oz.) loaf French bread, cut into 16 (1/2-inch) slices
- Ground cinnamon
- HEAT oven to 250°F. Place small baking sheet in oven.
- WHISK together 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk, 1/3 cup coffee and vanilla in large bowl. Whisk egg in medium shallow bowl until blended.
- HEAT 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium heat. Dip one bread slice at a time in milk mixture, then in beaten egg, turning to coat both sides. Place 5 to 6 slices in heated skillet. Cook until browned, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Place on baking sheet in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining slices adding more oil as needed.
- COMBINE remaining sweetened condensed milk and 4 teaspoons coffee in small bowl to make topping. Drizzle topping over warm bread slices just before serving. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- For a citrus topping, stir 1 teaspoon lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon grated lime peel into topping.