As you probably already know, I have been out of town a lot lately on something magical called Book Tour. This is a journey I've been taking to support my awesome new book CakeSpy Presents Sweet Treats for a Sugar-Filled Life, which is conveniently available at Urban Outfitters, Barnes and Noble, and many other fine retailers.
And now to talk about one of my absolute favorite stops on the tour, Angel Food Bakery in Chicago.
Now, I had been a fan from afar for quite some time, ever since Natalie of Bake & Destroy! brought me a little Renegade Craft Fair care package from their retail location, which included their "Airstream" (a homemade twinkie), as well as other junk-food sweets made fancy. LOVE!
But it was even better to go to their adorable retail location for myself, and to hang out with sweet people while signing copies of my super awesome book (see retailers above).
Owner Stephanie, who is just as sweet as her baked goods, had cake truffles and little bites all around the store, and we got along just famously. We have the same birthday and everything!
I totally sold out of books too, which totally ruled.
But what I really want you to know, more than anything, is that if you are in Chicago, or even NEAR Chicago, you MUST make this a destination. Even if I'm not signing books there at the moment. Because the treats are seriously amazing. They have cupcakes in flavors like:
- Mexican Hot Chocolate, cinnamon icing dipped in spicy chocolate
- Banana Peanut Butter
- German Chocolate
- Maple Spice
- Sour Cherry Crisp
and bakery items such as:
- Hedgehog: Dense coconut macaroon with almonds throughout, dipped in chocolate.
- Sour Cherry Macaroon: Dense coconut macaroon with sour cherries throughout, dipped in chocolate.
- Rugelach Rich cream cheese dough rolled with apricots, raisins and walnuts.
- Carrot Cake Club Simple carrot cake with a touch of ginger. Orange cream cheese filling, and a marzipan olive to top it off.
- Drunken Fig Bar A grown up fig Newton.
- Lemon Bars Tangy and rich!
- Brownies Dense and fudgy, with or without walnuts.
- Rummies The perfect little snack, a rum ball.
- Mud Pie A flourless chocolate cupcake!
- Cake Balz Cake rolled into little grab n' go treats.
Now, if that all didn't entice you, I don't know what will. Go visit them!
Angel Food Bakery, 1636 Montrose, Chicago; online here.