Per Danielle of Baker's Cakes, "here's our family's cake recipe! I'm pretty sure this recipe originated during times when certain ingredients were in limited supply, much like the popular chocolate "crazy cake." Today, I guess it's vegan! This is essentially an interesting spice cake."
Nana Murphy's Tomato Soup Cake
(Makes 9" square pan)
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- Dash of salt
- 1 can tomato soup
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 can's worth of water
- Preheat oven to 35 degrees; grease a 9x9-inch baking pan (circle or square).
- Sift the dry ingredients, except for the baking soda.
- Mix 1 teaspoon baking soda into 1 can of tomato soup- stir vigorously then add to the dry ingredients.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and 1 can of water and mix well.
- Stir in 1 cup of raisins and 1 cup of chopped pecans.
- Bake 35-45min in preheated oven, lightly greased pan, at 350 degrees.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting.
Danielle's Note: I like to make a White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting: Melt 1 bag (12oz) of white chocolate chips and beat into 1 package (8oz) room temp. cream cheese.