Kicking off Cookie Season: Mint Candy Butter Cookies Recipe from Crazy About Cookies by Krystina Castella
Thanksgiving's over. But don't cry into your empty pie plate (or empty Pumpkin Pie Shake), because that means it's officially Cookie Season.
And let's kick things off with one that is simple but classic and completely delicious: Mint Candy Butter Cookies from Krystina Castella's Crazy About Cookies (also check out the other posts from all week dedicated to Krystina's work: Pumpkin Cheesecake Pops, Zen Stone Cookies, and a giveaway featuring her super awesome book A World of Cake!). To get in a Christmas-y mood, I used candy canes. When served at the store, they disappeared in record time. Black friday was red and white and buttery all over, baby!
Mint Candy Butter Cookies
Adapted from Crazy About Cookies by Krystina Castella
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Royal icing
- 1 1/2 cups mint hard candies or candy canes, crushed
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk. Add the whole egg, salt, and vanilla, and stir to combine.
- Gradually stir in the flour. Form the dough into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Get 2 cookie sheets ready to go, no need to grease 'em.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface, to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 3-inch squares. Place the squares on the baking sheets and bake for 15-18 minutes, until the edges begin to turn golden. Transfer to a rack to cool completely. (Note: While still warm I cut the cookies into fourths, because I was sharing them at my store and wanted bite-sized cookies)
- Cover with icing. While icing is still wet, top with the crushed candies.