Do you like the idea of the berlinerkranser , but not the idea of rolling and twisting dozens of cookies? Happily, there is a variation on the cookie which is a bit faster but no less delicious: using the same dough, the cookies can be formed into buttery little thumbprint cookies with pretty sprinkles on the side. Here's the recipe variation:
- makes about 36 cookies -
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker's Cooky Book
- 1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- red and green candied cherries
- (optional) red and green sprinkles, mixed together in a small dish
- Mix butter, 1 cup sugar, orange rind, and eggs thoroughly. Stir in sifted flour until fully incorporated. Chill dough.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Break off small pieces of dough and roll into circles, a little smaller than a ping pong ball.
- With a finger, press an indent into each cookie and press a piece of candied cherry in the indent. If desired, roll the sides of the cookie in red and green sprinkles for a pretty effect.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until set but not brown.