Picture, if you will, two of the greatest masterpieces of Italian cookery--the cannoli and the calzone.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¼- ½ cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 sticks butter or 16 tbs, cut into 16 pieces
- 2 eggs
- 2-4 tbs cold water
- Mix the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor.
- Add the butter, eggs and water until a clumpy dough forms.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Form dough into 2 balls, flatten into thick discs, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a thin sheet and cut out round disc shapes for empanadas, use round molds or a small plate or cup as a mold, you can choose how large based on whether you want small or medium sized empanadas .
- Use the empanada discs immediately or store in the refrigerator or freezer to use later.You should get about 15-18 medium sized empanada discs or 25-30 small empanada discs.
- 3 c. very dry ricotta
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Chocolate chips